3 Things I've Learned From My 2020 #SummerofSelfLove Journey

I've been too much up in my head about who I am and who I want to be. I love who I am along with who I am becoming and nothing is wrong with neither. I allowed, let me repeat, I allowed old thoughts of not being enough hunt me. At this point in my journey I have more control over what I allow into my space as well as who I allow into my space. As I read over my last article from last year's #SummerofSelfLove journey, it was such a great, refreshing and aha moment reminding me to just be.

That may mean something different to different people. For me, to just be means to let go of the views the outside world, well rather the people of the world I should say, have of you. Sometimes even when loved ones think they're trying to help, they are not. My granny has the cutest and to me funny saying that, "If you open the door. I'm coming in." I've relearned that I've got to be careful of who I allow into my space. And how I allow them to occupy my space if I do choose to let them in. Now don't get me wrong. It is nice to reflect on the wise words of others, especially very close and dear friends. Those who love and care for you. They may see things that you do not. But we're all human and even in the midst of sharing out of love, care and/or concern, sometimes we may go over board with opinions versus that fine line of just letting our loved ones be and find their own way with our gentle guidance. As a big sister and from my experience, I know that fine line of gently guiding can be tough. And I only gently guide when asked. I never show up with "guidance" opinions and such if I am not asked. I've gotten much better at that big sis thing and I've also gotten much better at who I let into my space. 

The main 5 things I learned and have been reminded of from my 2020 #SummerofSelfLove Journey are: 

1. Dedicate time for just you, to just be. The world can get pretty noisy and it's nice to time dedicated time for ourselves. For me I enjoy walking. I'll have my phone with me for emergencies, but I put it away so I'm not tempted to take any photos, record video nor answer any calls. I do the same when I meditate, pray and do yoga. 

2. Do self-love tune ups. Last June's staycation was needed much more than I realized. I was in a transition stage and having the time and space to be alone was so nice. I got away from my regular set of four walls and enjoyed a different set of four walls, lol, at a nice hotel. I greatly enjoyed the time to just be and reflect on me. I really didn't even spend much time doing that which was perfect. I enjoyed the sunrises and sunsets. I walked a lot. I spent hours in a robe enjoying take out, fresh fruit, coffee, tea, long hot showers. I've decided to make my self-love tune ups a once per quarter thing. 

3. I say it a lot, it being to, "enjoy this beautiful, crazy thing called life." Yes we've got to keep a roof over our head and do things that just have to be done to live. But life should not be just paying bills and dying in my most humble of opinions. It may not be for everyone, but I do little things every day to make each day magic. For me it can be as simple as enjoying a chilled, sweet, juicy pear. I love that scene in City of Angels when Meg Ryan's character describes what a pear tastes like. In my make each day magic treats, just like just be moments, there is no phone. And I've become very intentional about no phone if I share my make each day magic treat with someone. Their time is valuable and if they are the treat or part of my treat, yep, no phones. 

Now that I've decided to do quarterly self-love tune ups, I'm already super excited about planning for my next one which I'll take in September. 

Cheers to continuing to love this beautiful, crazy thing called life and cheers to loving you. 

See more of June's self-love tune up on The Love Channel with Ty's Instagram page. 

Comments

Popular Posts