18 Songs To Love For A Chill Summer

While visiting my friend in Salt Lake City, I came across a mural that I thought was Minnie Riperton as we drove by. After enjoying our brunch, we stopped by the mural to get out  and get a closer look. The mural was of Alice Coltrane. I have to be honest, I had never heard of Alice Coltrane. After seeing the mural I was all too excited to look her up and hear her music. 

After looking up the artist I learned that she was an amazing harpist and piano player. She was also once married to jazz artist John Coltrane. I also looked up the name on another mural that was next to Coltrane's. It was of another artist I had not heard of, Jorge Ben. I looked up Ben as well and went down a rabbit hole that led me to this gorgeous singer that he pulled up on stage on one YouTube video. It was Gal Costa. After listening to some of their songs, I recognized one from each artist. I love them both and had to add them to this month's playlist. 

My trip down the rabbit hole which started from two mural art pieces I saw in SLC was a good trip and the inspiration behind July's playlist. My favorite is artist YEBBA's Fuck Yo Feelings. Oh my goodness, this young lady can sing, more like s-a-n-g sang. Another huge favorite is Red Room by Hiatus Kaiyote. It inspired this poem once I saw the word valiant. The name of the album Red Room is on is Mood Valiant. I'm so excited to slip into something comfy, brew some earl grey tea and enjoy a relaxing day listening to more songs from Mood Valiant and more of July's playlist. 

I hope you enjoy this month's playlist and cheers to the first full week of July. 

Love and Light 

~Ty

1. Jorge Ben Jor - Mas Que Nada

2. Alice Coltrane Harp Solo

3. Hiatus Kaiyote - 'Red Room'

4. Fuck Yo Feelings - Robert Glasper ft. YEBBA

5. Robert Glasper - Better Than I Imagined ft. H.E.R., Meshell Ndegeocello

6. Snoh Aalegra - LOST YOU

7. FKA twigs - cellophane

8. Labrinth - Jealous

9. Prince - The Question of U

10. Annie Lennox - No More "I Love You's"

11. Minnie Riperton- Inside My Love

12. Deniece Williams - Free

13. Janelle MonĂ¡e - I Like That

14. John Coltrane - In A Sentimental Mood

15. Mos Def - Umi Says

16. A Taste of Honey - Sukiyaki

17. Sergio Mendes ft. The Black Eyed Peas - Mas Que Nada

18. Gal Costa - Desafinado







Comments

Popular Posts