Clap For Yourself

Okay, you know what, go ahead and clap for yourself. It's not like you need my permission, however if it is something you have never done or have not done in sometime, I suggest standing up and clapping-for-yourself.
There was a time, many moons ago, that my clapping for myself was considered my being sadity, stuck up or thinking I was all that. I gotta tell ya, the word was used so much in my surroundings as a young woman around my junior high and high school days, AND in my culture, until I didn't even know it was a slang word until about 13 years ago. My grandma had passed away and my cousin and I were working on her program and obituary, and we somehow got on the topic of how we were called that term, sadity. She shared with me that many of her corporate colleagues and friends did not know what the heck she was taking about, LOL. We shared some old stories and had some good laughs along with our disappointment that once upon a time and even then when we were having our conversation, that we were considered a not so nice term because we worked hard to achieve and then celebrated our achievements. In junior high school I even had some young ladies who had planned to "gang me" after school because they felt I thought I was all that. Oh my gosh. Sadly I learned to shrink and downplay my achievements so others would not feel inferior around me, to keep the peace and to be "more likeable." I was a late bloomer and didn't start dating until 19 and when I did, I even  took the attitude of shrinking into my relationships. BIG MISTAKE.

The one thing that did not change about me was my heart, which has always been giving. And my work ethics did not change either. I continued to succeed and garnish accolades via receiving college scholarships, opportunities to speak for various organizations and at various events, and would be asked to have dinner at my university's chancellor's home. After leaving college and entering the work field, I learned it took more than hard work to move forward. Some opportunities were given simply off merit and hard work, most opportunities were given to those who hobnobbed a bit more, a lot really. I get it that that was important, however I wanted my work to speak for itself and just decided not to play that game. As time went own, I learned the importance of clapping for myself. I suppose I should say I re-learned that skill. Day 3 of my Summer of Self Love plan, I lightly revisited my journey of learning to clap for myself again, as an adult and without apology. I want to say it was around 10 years or so ago that I truly dove back into that spirit of self love and clapping for myself, and I can't recall regressing back. I only looked back today to recall how good it feels to celebrate and love myself and simply clap and share, "Well done Ty" or "Ok Babe, you did that." Clapping for myself will surely remain a form of self love for me.

What are you proud of that deserves clapping for yourself?



Hello Beautiful, Loving Souls. I love sharing and telling you more about the products and deals I find and love. If you love them too and decide to purchase through the links on my blog, I may receive a commission. Pricing and availability are subject to change. 

Comments

Popular Posts